Friday, July 3, 2015

James 1:6-8 (Devotion)

"But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."

Continuing from verse 5, James admonishes that faith is the prerequisite when asking God for wisdom. Faith is "a settled trust and confidence in God based on His character and promises as revealed in Scripture" (ESV Study Bible). So when we ask God for wisdom but do not fully trust that He can and will answer our request according to His timing and sovereignty, we are unstable in our thinking.

James furthers likens a man who doubts to a helpless wave tossed and driven aimlessly on the seas of life, because he trusts in either the world or his own abilities moreso than God. The picture of instability James paints is quite profound, for it reveals that who we believe God to be is foundational to understanding this teaching.

I would venture to guess that those of us who profess Jesus as Lord believe God is good. Yet James in writing to the church calls out a lack of faith issue. Why? If I examine my own heart, I come to realize that silence causes me to doubt at times. When I feel like God is not giving me clear direction, I tend to lean on my own ability or logical understanding based on experiential knowledge rather than Scripture. It is in those moments where I need self-recognition of this pattern and accountability through the body of Christ to break free. For in no way do I desire to be double-minded, supplementing the wisdom of God for the wisdom of the world based on convenience. Rather, I must be patient and believe firmly IN FAITH that God will honor my request for wisdom. For only He can satisfy my desire for wisdom because He is the ultimate source of it.

No comments: