Tuesday, July 7, 2015

James 1:12 (Devotion)

"Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him."

There is a distinct advantage to the Christian faith, one that surpasses secular thinking altogether. It elevates the priority of Scripture and enables a man to reflect upon the blessing James describes as something tangible and worth seeking after. It is counter-cultural, but that is absolutely what James intended to convey when he penned these words.

Living opposite of culture is not an easy task as there are significant risks today for living a public Christian faith. Yet it is our privilege to endure even persecution as a trial that defines and edifies our faith, rather than shakes it or causes us to grow lukewarm and indifferent concerning truth.

Moreover, the trials we face fall under God's sovereign authority, so we could almost read James' admonition as, "Blessed are those who remain under the sovereign authority of God." It is easier for my heart to accept this terminology than "trials" because it reassures me that no matter what I face (trials included), God knows all and is in full control at all times. Therefore I can release all fear and anxiety over the unknown because His love promises me that He has the best in store for me...and that does not presuppose my life will be roses. It may be His will that more thorns than blooms represent my life here on earth, but that is temporary because the eternal crown of life (my salvation in Christ) enables me to endure whatever fiery trials come my way, and that is the true blessing of God.

No comments: