Friday, March 13, 2020

DEAR GOD (Personal Reflection)

It feels so good to make it this far
And I didn't think I could take it so long
There were days I wanted to quit
I said surely this is it but I held on

And I watched as so called friends turned and walked away
And it hurt so much I didn't have words to say
But even when my day turns to night and nothing seems just right
Lord, I thank You for my life

For my life, Lord, I thank You
For every victory in You I've seen
And all the moments I know it was You who kept me
So I thank You for my life

And I've watched you take my family from there to here
And when times where a little rough, God, I know You were near
And the moments I thought I'd fail, I was reminded of Your nails
So I held on

And if I never live to see another day
There's nothing I would change or take away
I've had so many ups that they far outweigh my downs
Lord, I thank You for my life

For my life, Lord, I thank You
For every victory in You I've seen
And for the moments I know it was You who kept me
So I thank You for my life

I realize some didn't make it
I could've been one of the ones who lost my way
And there were times, Lord, I know I almost went crazy
But I'm still here with my life

For my life, Lord, I thank You
For every victory in You I've seen
And for the moments I know it was You who kept me
So I thank You for my life

It may not be all that I'd hope for
And every dream has not yet been realized
But to see Your face one day, God
I know it's all gonna be worth it

So I thank You, thank You for every mountain, every valley
God, everything You brought me through, thank You
I know, I know it was You
I just want to take the time to say thank You Jesus, for my life


Once upon a lifetime, a song comes along which stops you dead in your tracks and leaves you speechless. It is a rare occasion when the perfect blend of lyrics, vocals and musical arrangement come together to form a spiritually transcendent experience, but that is truly the case with "Dear God," by Smokie Norful. If you have never heard this song before, stop and watch this video first, because you will be infinitely blessed and likely brought to tears. Without a doubt, Smokie is anointed by God with a musical gift that is indescribable. He is on my Mount Rushmore of greatest vocalists of all-time because He can do things with his voice I have rarely seen anyone else come close to accomplishing. His ability to sing vocal runs so quickly and effortlessly, perfectly pitched, is a miracle in itself, but his ability to tell a story with his instrument is unparalleled. The raw emotion he sings with and the cry in his voice touches the deepest part of my soul, and I am blessed beyond comprehension every time I hear him sing because I connect with the desire of his heart to worship and glorify God. That is why I am so humbled and excited to reflect upon this incredible song as an opportunity to encourage others with its message. What I love is that it does not paint a pretty picture of what Christianity looks like, but reflects upon the honest reality of trials God allows in our lives by responding with appreciation and thankfulness to Jesus for His faithfulness through the storm. It echoes a similar song of David: "O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands" (Psalm 63:1–4). Therefore, let us worship the Lord in song with great anticipation for the glory that awaits in heaven one day.

"It feels so good to make it this far, and I didn't think I could take it so long. There were days I wanted to quit. I said, "Surely this is it," but I held on. And I watched as so called friends turned and walked away, and it hurt so much I didn't have words to say. But even when my day turns to night and nothing seems just right, Lord, I thank You for my life." Life may not have turned out as we had hoped or expected, but God is faithful despite our circumstances. If we are honest with ourselves, throwing in the towel or waving the white flag of surrender is tempting when we're overwhelmed by trials, because Satan knows the depth at which our faith is planted in God's Word and how easily we're swayed to abandon our faith in favor of self-preservation. That is why Scripture exhorts, "Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you" (1 Peter 5:9–10). In other words, the difficult circumstances we find ourselves in are not so unique that others cannot relate to our struggle. Seasons come and seasons change, but there is nothing we endure that God has not already ordained to be used for our sanctification. "What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun" (Ecclesiastes 1:9). Keep in mind, we are not exempt from suffering in trials, but we are assured our seasons in the valley are calculated for a specific season. "Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all" (Psalm 34:19). That is why perspective is arguably the most valuable survival tool at our disposal for acknowledging the pain we experience and its ultimate purpose for drawing us unto the Lord for deliverance.

"For my life, Lord, I thank You. For every victory in You I've seen. And all the moments I know it was You who kept me, so I thank You for my life." Proper perspective teaches us to view life through God's lens and embrace thankfulness as our means of ultimate survival. In other words, "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you" (1 Thessalonians 5:16–18). Thanksgiving is made possible when we reflect upon spiritual markers in our lives, for a spiritual marker represents a moment in time when God guided a major decision or direction which changed the trajectory of our lives forever. It could be the day a harmful addiction was overcome, a catastrophe was avoided, a milestone or goal achieved, etc. It's less about WHAT the spiritual marker is and more about HOW it impacted our lives and WHY we remember it. The key is recognizing God's presence in pivotal moments of our past which testify to His goodness and help us remember He is faithful in all things despite our limited knowledge and wisdom. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8–9). When we trust in His omniscient, all-knowing power, we relinquish fear and anxiety over present trials because we know He will never leave us nor forsake us, for our spiritual markers testify to that absolute truth. "But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one" (2 Thessalonians 3:3). Therefore, we can appreciate each moment the Lord intervened to guide and protect us because we know He is the author and architect of our spiritual prosperity—past, present and future. "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28).

"And I've watched you take my family from there to here. And when times where a little rough, God, I know You were near. And the moments I thought I'd fail, I was reminded of Your nails, so I held on. And if I never live to see another day, there's nothing I would change or take away. I've had so many ups that they far outweigh my downs. Lord, I thank You for my life." Life tends to make us "grow up" the minute hard trials and calamity enter our lives. When we encounter gut-wrenching tests of faith and feel as if we're living the life of Job first-hand, life simplifies down in an instant. No longer are personal preferences or superficial concerns significant in any way. All that matters is survival from one breath to the next, for those are the moments we learn how deep our Biblical roots truly run. "And when a great crowd was gathering and people from town after town came to him, he (Jesus) said in a parable, 'A sower went out to sow his seed. And as he sowed, some fell along the path and was trampled underfoot, and the birds of the air devoured it. And some fell on the rock, and as it grew up, it withered away, because it had no moisture. And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up with it and choked it. And some fell into good soil and grew and yielded a hundredfold.' As he said these things, he called out, 'He who has ears to hear, let him hear'" (Luke 8:4–8). It is difficult for me to articulate how deeply I empathize with these particular lyrics, for I've watched the spiritual temperature of my home rise and fall based on my leadership or lack thereof. I've experienced the Spirit of God literally steering me away from temptation countless times, and felt His presence surround me as I've owned my sin and taken responsibility for the consequences of my actions. I've embraced guilt, shame and regret more intimately than I ever care to remember, but I also know each failure taught me invaluable wisdom along the way which has saved me from further self-imposed destruction. That is why perspective is so invaluable, because it enables us to count the cost of every future decision we make through the lens of self-examination, personal experience, and God's sovereignty. "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" (Psalm 73:26).

"I realize some didn't make it. I could've been one of the ones who lost my way. And there were times, Lord, I know I almost went crazy, but I'm still here with my life." How would we ever know what could have happened in our lives if the Lord had not intervened? It is impossible to calculate. However, we can open our eyes and witness the world around us as evidence of God's faithfulness throughout our lives. Pride baits us into assuming we are immune to the failures we see in others who didn't make it, but we are wise to reject any notion of spiritual superiority or prosperity doctrine which pride enables. Make no mistake, how prosperous we are in life is NOT dependent on our power, position or economic status. Rather, true prosperity is a measure of our heart's devotion to God alone, despite our lot in life. "For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God" (1 Corinthians 1:26–29). I wonder whether we realize that our lives are not what we make of them, but rather 100% contingent on God's grace and mercy. For none of us are promised tomorrow, but we are guaranteed the power to choose HOW we will live and for who's ultimate glory and pleasure: God or self. "Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit'—yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that'" (James 4:13–15). Therefore, before we succumb to the craziness of the world surrounding us, perhaps we should stop and recognize who gave us eternal life to begin with and praise Him for His sovereign provision for us.

"It may not be all that I'd hope for, and every dream has not yet been realized. But to see Your face one day, God, I know it's all gonna be worth it." Oh, how one decision can impact a lifetime! Each of us can likely pinpoint one fork-in-the-road moment which altered our life forever. It could be positive or negative, but one spiritual marker in particular shifted, delayed or changed the life each one of us once dreamed of. Scripture reminds us, "He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury" (Romans 2:6–8). Ultimately, that one decision changed our life's trajectory because our perspective shifted as a result. The horizon became clear in the distance and we recognized how far we had come and/or how far we still have yet to go. In climbing a mountain, rarely does the trail follow a straight line from starting point to summit peak. Rather, it twists and turns with frequent elevation changes, shifting back and forth to ease the stress of the hike and allow the climber to surpass mile markers more easily. Granted, the path straight forward is much quicker, but also more dangerous with greater risk and little chance of survival if the terrain is unknown. Therefore, "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few" (Matthew 7:13–14). Bottom line, our lives certainly could have turned out unexpectedly had we chosen different paths, but rest assured, God has a far greater plan and purpose in store if we trust in Him and allow the Holy Spirit to help us realize our true potential in Christ. "When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory" (Colossians 3:4)Praise the Lord, our summit peak will be achieved when we pass from this life and spend eternity with our Savior in glory! 

"So I thank You, thank You for every mountain, every valley, God, everything You brought me through, thank You. I know, I know it was You. I just want to take the time to say thank You Jesus, for my life." The only decision that matters is choosing whom we will serve each day of our lives. Therefore, "I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the LORD your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days" (Deuteronomy 30:19–20a). Keep in mind, we have an enemy who actively seeks to twist our heart's devotion away from God at all cost, which is why we must embrace the cross of Christ even if it costs us everything. "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I (Jesus) came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep" (John 10:10–11). Satan would have us believe every valley we journey through is a reason to doubt God's faithfulness, but nothing could be further from the truth. For in the valley God reveals His true character to us, loving us unconditionally when we are broken and bruised, and mending our wounds to make us whole again. "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds" (Psalm 147:3). Far be it for me to utter nothing but thankfulness all the days of my life because the Lord has proven Himself faithful more times than I can remember, even when He didn't have to in the first place. Therefore, I shall dedicate my life to glorifying and edifying the name of Jesus above all else because He alone is worthy to be praised. "I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever. For great is your steadfast love toward me; you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol" (Psalm 86:12–13).

In closing, I would be remiss if I did not share one additional home video which highlights the raw emotion this song brings to those who allow the Holy Spirit to penetrate their hearts. It is a beautiful testimony of the power of praise and worship to our heavenly Father. To me, this video demonstrates how a song can transcend itself as the variation Smokie sings here differs slightly from the original because of the moment in time and season of life in which he sang it. Oh, how prophetic of our lives because our testimony of faith ebbs and flows while God demonstrates His faithfulness more and more! Therefore, "Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness!" (Psalm 115:1). I simply love the honesty of this video because it mirrors my heart's desire and emotions by recognizing all the spiritual markers the Lord provided me through the years, and how thankful I am for His unfailing love, even in my darkest hours. It captures the essence of my life's story and allows me the opportunity to glorify Him in praise and worship. "Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created" (Revelation 4:11)Ultimately, I pray "Dear God" becomes one of our most treasured songs in the Christian church for years to come, because we all can relate to the power of the message and how thankful we are for the eternal life Jesus provides to those who trust in Him alone for salvation. "I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. For your steadfast love is great to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth!" (Psalm 57:9–11).



No comments: